The Grand Porch Party is now taking submissions from musicians who want to play our big fifth birthday on June 14!
We welcome all levels of musician — from fully fledged professionals to newbies hoping to land their first gig. Tell us who you are, what you play, and why you’d like to be a GPP performer. Then send us a demo.
All the details are on our “Can I play?” page. Submission deadline is March 21, 2015. But don’t wait til the last minute. We’d love to hear from you — drop us a line!
Tynan Bramberger shares a moment with the mobile audience. Photo: Anthony Reinhart.
PS: Previous GPP players are welcome to apply, but if you’ve played the last two events, we ask you to sit this one out, to a) make sure we have a good mix of music, and b) give you a chance to enjoy the show. Thanks for understanding!
This year, the Grand Porch Party is turning FIVE! Yep, Waterloo’s original and best community-made music fest is hitting the big time, and we have sooo much in the planning. It’s gonna be great.
Mark your calendar for June 14, 2015 (the second Sunday in June), and start daydreaming of warm, summer days filled with music, community, environment and FUN.
And MUSICIANS: Stay tuned for details of how you can PLAY the event! We’ll post all the details on this website. To make sure you don’t miss your chance, join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or keep checking back for the announcement, coming soon!!
Thanks to everyone for making another beautiful Grand Porch Party come alive. Yes, it rained. Yes, we got wet. But we also danced, sang, played, laughed, and got into the spirit of the GPP.
We’ll post a few pics here, and will have some more on the way soon (as will our wonderful photog-volunteer Darin White, over on his wonderful blog makebright.com).
In the meantime, thank-you all. Without our musicians, our porch hosts, our volunteers, and the brave souls who ventured into the rain for three hours, none of this would happen. You are the GPP. See you next year!
Ignore the clouds! It’s going to be a gorgeously musical afternoon at the Grand Porch Party. To get fully sorted, here’s a few tips:
• Stay fully connected with our app. Android users can download it at the Android store. Everyone else can get all the deets on our fancy-schmancy online app, available at grandporchpartyapp.ca.
• We’ll kick off with bells! Bring one to ring at 2pm.
• Be prepared! Bring an umbrella (or a “brolly” an Australian parlance) and a hat. Either way, we’ll have tales to tell.
• Visit the GPP Merch tent at 108 Alexandra. All of the musicians receive an honorarium thanks to our music sponsors, but they also earn their living by selling their art. All money from sales goes straight to the artists. The GPP does not take a cut!
• If you do want to give the GPP some love, though, look out for our Sustainability Fund watering cans. Toss in a coin (or three) and get yourself a sweet GPP Guitar Pick.
Still have questions on the day? Look out for one of our volunteers in the orange vests and they’ll help any way they can.
Oh yes, the final countdown is on GPP fanatics and you best believe that we’re channeling our inner 80’s fan and listening to Europe while we’re writing this. We couldn’t be more excited that you’re coming to celebrate the amazing talent found in our region, on Sunday. We’re so excited that we thought we’d let you in on a few secrets.
1. You’ll for sure want to bring the following with you:
- A bell – keeping with tradition, we’re kicking off the GPP with bells and a choir!
- A hat and sunscreen – Sunday is supposed to be bright, sunny and feel like 28. We don’t want any lobsters on our hands.
- Our fancy apps – You can download PictureThis and unlock awesome challenges using the code GPP2014. You can download our event app on the Android store and get the inside scoop on who is playing where and when, all in the palm of your hand. Not an Android user? No worries – grab a copy of our map for your phone and you’re good to go.
- Water, snacks, and other edibles – You’re welcome to bring treats with you to enjoy while you’re listening to the beauty tunes we’re hosting. We ask that any garbage brought into the neighbourhoods is taken out with you when you go. There will not be trash bins out.
- An open mind – We’ve got all kinds of tunes lined up for you so take your time strolling around. You never know, you may just discover your new favourite band.
2. You’ll definitely want to leave a few things at home:
- We ask that porch party goers keep in mind that the event is not licensed and alcohol is not permitted. The police won’t be too keen on that.
- Lawn mowers, devil sticks, snowpants, and hibachi grills – yeah, we said snowpants.
3. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Where to park – the town square mall is your best bet. Tons of parking, and it’s super close by.
- Need to use the loo? We’ve got you covered – There are washrooms at the town square mall but, this year we’re bringing in two port-a-potty’s for your use. They’ve been so graciously bestowed upon us thanks to our fantastic sponsors!
- Drop by the Children’s Music Garden for a slammin’ good, family friendly time.
- Visit our Environmental Partner, REEP Green Solutions to get the latest and greatest news from the environmental world and how you can take a proactive stance against climate change.
- Head over to the merch and sponsor tents to see who put this crazy event together, what new favourite albums you can pick up, and to check out the GPP sustainability fund and grab a sweet guitar pick
- Keep an eye out for kids, cars, and volunteers – Just a reminder that the streets are open and we don’t want any little ones wandering off. If something comes up, let one of our awesome volunteers in orange know and they’ll help you sort it out.
4. Finally, catch up with the hype! We’ve been in the news a solid bit this week.
- Bob Egan wrote a story about us for the Cord Community Edition
- GPP founder Tenille chatted with Coral Andrews and gave her the GPP inside scoop
- and there are a ton of other highlight reels running about the Region.
If we missed something, let us know! First timer? We definitely want to hear your thoughts. Send us a note on Twitter when you’re strolling about, tell us you’re coming on Facebook, and get jazzed! You ready?! Let’s do this. See you in 72 hours.
If you have little lovelies in your life, the Grand Porch Party has your Sunday afternoon sorted.
Our event partner, the Uptown West Neighbourhood Association (UWNA), will turn the side yard at 59 Euclid Ave into a musical adventure zone. The Children’s Music Garden will feature the Long & McQuade instrument petting zoo, a host of fun things to bang around on, and the GPP’s own giant xylophone!
Over on Alexandra Ave, super-fun kids’ band The Skalywags will play from 2pm-3pm. Ian Ried brings family-friendly tunes from 3pm-4pm, and then Charlena Russell will play along with students from her music school from 4pm-5pm.
And that’s not all! The UWNA is giving away water and freezies at the corner of Alexandra and Dunbar (handily across from the GPP Info+Merchandise tent). Oh, and did we mention that the entire event is pedestrian-friendly? That makes it accessible for even the teensiest of toddlers!
Snoozin’ to the music
Don’t forget: The GPP app is now available for download in the Android App Store. And Picture This has released the GPP-specific photo challenges! Download the app here, and unlock the GPP photo challenges using the code “GPP2014″.
(We’re working on an event web-app for BlackBerry and Apple users. Stay tuned.)
Exciting news porch party fanatics!
With four days to go until the big day, our friends at Picture This have released their app as well as their first GPP specific photo challenge. Visit http://appsp.in/picturethis to download the app and unlock the GPP photo challenges using the code “GPP2014″.
The first challenge is called “From my porch to yours” and is all about giving us a shot of your porch before you come to visit ours. Challenges will be posted over the next few days and more will be launched on Sunday. We’re so excited!
Secondly, the GPP event app is available for download on the android app store now! Check out who’s playing where and when, who our fantastic sponsors are, and revel in the fact that all this info is in the palm of your hand. Not an android user? Don’t sweat it – our website has all that information too.
The countdown is on – see you on Sunday